Below are paraphrased summaries of three conversations that have been overheard in the office in the past couple of months. The first was a woman talking and the last two were men.
- I tried to register mine, but was told to go to the township office instead of the city.
- I am not supposed to carry it into the post office, but when I am just on a quick errand there, I don’t worry about it.
- I own 35 of them.
These people were not idly chatting about their new iPhone, notebook computer, or cell phone in these conversations, they were talking about freaking guns! Since when did owning or carrying a gun become as commonplace as it was in 19th century Dodge City, Deadwood, or Tombstone?
To me, it seems many people in this nation have become completely obsessed with the stupid things to the point where they have become an object of idol worship; a religion unto themselves: the Church of the Blessed Revolver.
Idolatry is defined as “given to blind or excessive devotion to something.” Well, from my observations, it appears that many gun advocates of this nation are just that, idol worshipers. I see guns displayed on screen-savers, I see five or six gun magazines and catalogues lying around the break room, and I often see guns depicted on bumper stickers, window decals, or highway billboards.
I have never owned a gun of any kind, nor have I ever wanted to own one. But, this obsession by gun idolists is making me feel far less safe and more uncomfortable all the time. The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence reported more than 109,000 incidents of gun violence in this country in 2010 or 300 for every day. Those are unacceptable numbers.
Here in Michigan, legislation was recently proposed that would eliminate the minimum age for obtaining a hunting license, provided an adult accompanies the minor. What’s next, National Rifle Association (NRA) sponsored baby showers, camouflaged diapers, and shoot before you speak lessons? This is utterly insane.
I searched on the internet to try to find out how many guns there are in the United States. Guess what…nobody knows for sure. The latest estimate I could find was between 238 and 276 million in 2003. What kind of registry or tracking system is that?
I believe guns, especially handguns, are not a deterrent to crime like gun idolist would lobby. Instead, they are an accident waiting to happen (all too often to a child) or they are an all too easily accessible final arbiter of heightened tensions and flaring emotions that can produce deadly results. Put a handgun in a volatile environment and you are asking for trouble.
In 2008, two-thirds of all murders in the United States were committed with firearms. For more interesting facts that dispel the NRA’s propaganda about guns, please click on this link to and overview of the issue by the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.
The NRA has approximately 4.3 million members. Why are the rest of us letting 1.4 percent of the population dictate gun laws and rules to the other 98.6 percent? Gun ownership, like driving, should be a privilege not a right. The Second Amendment has nothing to do with gun ownership as it now occurs in the United States, it has to do with a “well-regulated” militia. We need to start emphasizing the “well-regulated” part, but it has been co-opted by the gun idolists as way of justifying their loose-cannon actions and bully-like attitudes. It is all a giant, selfish farce!
Am I saying take all guns away? Absolutely not. I have no problem with hunting rifles, antique guns, or family heirlooms. Rifles in particular are a basic part of our history and remain useful tool for many outdoor sport enthusiasts. But, for all other types of guns:
- Assault weapons are unnecessary unless you want your game to look like Swiss cheese.
- Handguns are unnecessary except for police departments and security-related services.
- Semi/automatic weapons are needless for anything but death, destruction, mayhem, and carnage.
Let’s take back the debate and our country from the gun idolists, to assure our children and grandchildren that they will not be growing up in a nation filled with unregulated, pistol-packing mamas and papas.
Read Full Post »